Wednesday, November 11, 2009

IR Distribution/Sticking it to Comcast

I just finished installing the Calrad 92-160 IR Distribution System and I couldn't be happier.
My goal wast to extend my Comcast cable box from my living room to an HDTV that is in my basement. I wasn't too keen on picking up another Comcast box, so I was looking for other options.
All I needed was a 25ft component cable, the Calrad 92-160, a 25ft stereo cable, and a 25ft 3.5 to 3.5 extension cable.

I attached the IR emitter to the Comcast box, connected it to the 3.5 to 3.5 extension cable and ran it through the floor to the TV in the basement. I then plugged this cable into the IR connecting block along with the IR receiver, and plugged the block into an AC outlet. I also ran a 25ft stereo cable from the Comcast box to the stereo input on the back of my TV. Now the moment of truth....I hit the "All on" button on the Comcast remote, saw the blue LED light flash and the TV powered up and ESPNHD appeared on the screen. I changed some channels, played with the volume and checked out the ON DEMAND features and everything worked perfectly!

We won't be able to watch different channels on both TV's simultaneously, but as I only use the basement TV when I workout, this shouldn't be a problem. The good news is I have all the functionality of my Comcast HD/DVR box in two locations and am only paying for one!

Take that Comcast!

1 comment:

  1. I am trying to hide my comcast box and was wondering what I need to make this work. Any help is much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

Please post your comments here: